Despite it being wonderful, some issues are starting to be noticed.
I have seen two so far. The first affects Outlook 2010 in Windows 10, in particular sending new emails. Sending replies and forwards is no issue, just new emails. An error Ox800ccc13 is generated, along with a message about not being able to reach the server. Test emails send fine also (when you set up the account details). This page http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/outlook-error-ox800ccc13-in-windows-10/ provides details of the problem and a fix. This was implemented and the PC is back to normal. This error has occurred again today on another PC, and the same fix worked on that PC too. UPDATE 13/08/2015 – two more occurrences of this issue today, and another one to test tomorrow. Looking like a bit of a pattern!
The second problem is much worse. Windows 10 was installed by the customer on a windows 7 system which was heavily infected with malware, viruses etc. When it first started, it did not recognise the AMD drivers and software, so that screen resolution could not be set (the most obvious issue). After some work it appeared that it was not recognising the drivers as being certified, and when that check was bypassed it came up with a Component registry corrupted message. No repairs made any difference, it would not roll back to Windows 7, it would not reset or refresh Windows 10, the only solution I could find was to reset back to factory settings (Windows 7) and roll forward all updates again. All data was backed up, but all apps and software will have to be installed. A second install of Windows 10 after the rollback also failed, and apparently an attempt to upgrade to Windows 8 two years ago also failed! My diagnosis is faulty video hardware – it is an HP DV4 so it is quite likely.
A third problem may or may not be a windows 10 issue. A toddler managed to get hands on a newly upgraded windows 10 desktop while it was sending emails, and yanked the power cord out, shutting it down. On restarting, all user files were read only, including the outlook files. The solution was to reset the group membership of the only user to administrator, and then take ownership off all the affected folders under the users profile. A few days later, the PC was back not able to process office attachments in emails. The solution was a full re-install repair of office 2013. There’s a bit of a theme of office and outlook in windows 10 happening here!
I have had an almost brand new ACER E5 laptop in to complete the Windows 10 updates, because the owner could not get them to work. I spent a couple of hours trying also, and am pretty certain that a corrupt windows 8 installation was denying Windows 10 the ability to upgrade. I did a system file check, and it came up with missing or corrupted system files that could not be repaired, which sort of confirms my thoughts. The owner was not willing to spend a lot on it, so I recommended a rebuild back to factory settings, and then roll forward to Windows 10. If he does that without installing masses of doubtful software, he may have a better chance of it working.
I am today (12/08/2015) upgrading a Windows 8 HP All-in-one to Windows 10, but unfortunately, Windows updates has been turned off since it was converted from 7 to 8, and when Windows updates were attempted, they failed configuration and rolled back! The answer to this Windows 8 issue, is to manually install small numbers of updates at a time (10, then another 10, then 20, 20, 20, 50 and then probably the rest as I lose patience). Not a very refined solution, but it gets Windows 8 to the point where Windows 8.1 can be installed. After 8.1 is installed, another gig of 8.1 updates is necessary before Windows 10 can be installed. Altogether, including the Windows 10 upgrade, about 7 gig of updates will be processed to get it to Windows 10! UPDATE – Just finished the install, nearly everything fine, had to do an SFC /scannow to fix the email send problem.
While doing the one above, I had an ACER laptop, which took 90 minutes to do what other updates took a few seconds to do, so I cancelled the update (which also took 90 minutes) and took a long look at the PC. Ran a full antimalware suite, ran a full chkdsk /r, ran a full memtest which took 5 or 6 hours! Restarted the PC, checked its operating temperature just in case, but finally diagnosed a faulty stick of ram, and with a bit of detective work, determined which it was and removed it. So with only 2GB of ram instead of 4GB, I kicked off the Windows 10 upgrade again, and this time it worked normally, if a little slower than some I have done. It completed successfully, and the install was good in the end.