Following on from getting the Vodem working in Ubuntu, which was relatively easy, this morning I have been having fun getting the T-Stick working. There are many references on how to do this and I won’t bore you by going through it all again, this is the one I used. One extra change is required to make this permanent, which I gleaned from this page post #7.
15/12/2009 – I have created a detailed page about this subject – see T-Stick in Ubuntu under Pages.
Once all that is done, it’s just a simple matter of right clicking on the network icon, select edit connections, and add a new connection. With the T-Stick stuck in the machine, it now appears in the drop down on the first page, select New Zealand from the second page, Telecom New Zealand from the third, and ‘XT Mobile (Internet with firewall) on the next. Everything else should be OK.
At the moment, I can’t test it, as the XT Network seems to have some sort of catastrophic failure, the Telecom site is saying that all users south of Taupo may not be able to send/receive calls, SMS or data! Well I certainly can’t.
In order to make sure the card is working, I have put the Vodafone sim into it, and set up a connection to Vodafone (called Vodafone on T-Stick!) which works absolutely perfectly.
The Telecom XT network is up now, and the card works fine.