A customer has had this twice now, so I am documenting how to get rid of it. It presents itself as a locked out tablet, with a message from the local police organisation telling the user that they have been visiting offensive sites, and unless they pay a $200 fine, the tablet will remain locked. Nothing will get past this screen.
Solution – restart in safe mode – this works for a Samsung tablet.
- Hold the power button down until the device completely powers down.
- Hold the power button again, and when the Samsung logo appears, hold down the “Volume down” button.
- The lock screen will appear with SAFE MODE in the lower left corner.
- Swipe to log on.
When logged on in safe mode, remove the offending app as follows
- Go into Settings/Application manager
- Sort the applications by size (option in the menu top right).
- Scroll down to the apps about 1MB in size, look for something called System Update or similar just under 1MB in size.
- Click on it and click UNINSTALL
- Restart the tablet normally.